From time to time, society members produce articles about
interesting events in the history of King's Heath.
Memories of King's Heath In The Second World War compiled
by Margaret R. Shepherd
An account of memories of the people of King's Heath during
the run up and the development of world war two, including a List of
Requirements for a Gas Proof Room and extracts from the log books of local
Farewell to Colliers. By Diane Hirst.
The name of Phillip Collier became a household word amongst
discerning gentlemen and soon his shops were to be found in all parts of the
West Midlands. This gentleman's outfitter had it's roots on the High Street of
Kenneth Hirst gentlemen's outfitter. By Diane
Hirst and Sons - later Kenneth Hirst - occupied a prominent
position on the High Street until 1973. Diane recalls the family business.
More Memories of King's Heath life. Compiled by Ivor
A collection of reminiscences of past and present King's
Heathens including the Robinson family (late 19th century), tales of a
milkround from the early 20th century and memories of a King's Heath childhood
in the 20s and 30s.
King's Heath Street Names
A presentation delivered to the Society by Andy Bishop and Bob
Blackham which studies the origins of the names of some of the streets in
King's Heath. It is a very interesting document with many old pictures of the
The History of the Cross Guns by Andy Bishop
The Cross Guns stands on the corner of the busy High Street
and Bank Street in Kings Heath. A pub has stood on this same site for over 200
years and played a very important part in the history and the community of
The Hare and Hounds by Andy Bishop
Now a vibrant music venue the Hare and Hounds is the second
oldest pub in the centre of Kings Heath and this is its story.
The Grange, King's Heath by S. A. Budd
The Grange was a large mansion built towards the end of the
18th century, shortly after the construction of the Digbeth to Spernal Ash
Turnpike Road. The house was situated about two hundred yards west of the
Alcester Road that we know today and about four hundred and fifty yards north
of Bleak Lane.
The History of Colmore Road Primary School by Margeret R
Colmore Road Infant School began in January 1909 in Kings
Heath House in the park and moved to the new premises in Colmore Road in April
1911. The building was taken over as a military hospital in 1915 and staff and
pupils moved to join Kings Heath School until 1919.
Isaac Bate by Andy Bishop
Isaac was a very generous benefactor to Kings Heath. He,
along with other wealthy men in Kings Heath, such as Joseph Nettlefold at
Kingsfield House (where Saint Dunstans now stands), gave their money to
build Kings Heath Institute in 1878.
An information leaflet by the Chamberlain Highbury Trust This
new charity was formed in 2015 to restore the house and grounds of the Highbury
estate. Full of information and pictures.